There is quite a bit of buzz surrounding next week’s Group KidMin Conference. If you have read my blog for a while, then you know that i absolutely love this conference, which I have attended in Chicago (2011) and Columbus (2013). I am looking forward to attending again this year!
I am connected to a few kidmin online groups and have seen a plethora of questions from conference-goers. According to the conference organizers, here are a few of the most frequently asked pre-conference questions along with my own personal tips:
1. Do I need to register for Pre-Conference training options in advance? Yes. These seven-hour intensives, which include lunch, are a great way to begin the weekend. I did this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Add this to your conference registration for just $59 per person. Click here for more details.
2. Do I need to register for the workshops in advance? No. Once you browse through the list of workshop options, you simply show up at the workshops you’d like to take. Beware, however, that some workshops fill up quickly and close. If that is the case, you will need to make another selection. Tip: Choose several workshops for each time slot in advance if you can so that you can quickly join another location.
Options include Deeper Learning Tracks (four 2-hour sessions), Half-Tracks (two 2-hour sessions) or 2-hour workshops.
My Personal Pre-Conference Tips
- Have a strategy for attending workshops, especially if you’re coming with a group. Here’s something to consider: One person attends one of the deeper learning tracks, while other folks attend workshops that would support the particular learning track. This way, the information gained is not spread across every topic, rather everything their team learns can be applied to an overall concept or particular focus. After KidMin and your team has a chance to regroup, the information from all these workshops and learning tracks compliment and support the desires of the team. They go in with a plan, focus your energies, and leave with tools and concepts that can be applied immediately.
- Download your Participant’s Booklet. You will receive a booklet at the conference but downloading it in advance will help you to mark the workshops you’d like to take early.
- Confirm your hotel reservations.
- Confirm your transportation arrangements/reservations. If you are flying into Columbus, it is recommended that you make reservations for the ground shuttle from the airport to the conference hotels. While a reservation is not required, those with reservations will be able to board the shuttle first. Click here for more details.
- Download your workshop handouts. This year, the handouts are in Word format, so they are editable. Be sure to download the handouts for your alternate workshop choices, too. Download the handouts here, using “surge2014” as your log in code.
- Make arrangements to meet up for coffee with your fellow kidmin’ers. Allow some flexibility but it doesn’t hurt to pre-arrange meals or coffee with friends.
Don’t forget to pack:
- Money/credit cards/checkbook
- Business cards or pre-printed contact information (this can be printed on address labels) to pass out when networking
- Light sweater or jacket, as rooms might be chilly
- Reusable water bottle
- Portable snacks such as energy/granola bars, trail mix, etc.
- Electronic devices & chargers
Come back tomorrow for more tips!
**A special thank-you goes out to Rochelle Dorsey & John Guerra for allowing me the opportunity to post on Group’s behalf.