There are many things that kidmin leaders have in common, one of them being learning how to maximize limited ministry funds. We all look for ways to get the most bang for our buck. Oftentimes it takes many years to see many of our bigger dreams become reality. This can be true when we consider electronic check-in options for our kidmin. Electronic check-in is almost standard in many medium to larger-sized churches. But what about smaller churches? Do many smaller church kidmin leaders think that electronic check-in is an option for them because of the financial costs? Today, I’d like to introduce you to Simple Sign In, a 100% web-based tool that is affordable to churches of all sizes.
Product Description Simple Sign In was developed by a brother-sister team in December 2012. It was originally developed for their church and thought that the tool would be great for other churches, too. Simple Sign In is 100% web-based, which means that there is no hardware or software needed for use. Amy Madden, one of the developers, says, “I feel as though all churches, regardless of size, should be able to have a safe and secure children’s environment.”
How It Works
- Children are checked in at 1 (or more stations, if needed) check-in station upon arrival.
- Two labels are printed – 1 for the child and 1 for the parent/guardian. Use of a compatible label printer is optional – labels can be handwritten.
What I Like
- I love that smaller churches have an affordable option for electronic check-in. While there would be an initial investment in computers and/or tablets and compatible label printers (which are optional), the actual tool itself is quite affordable. Pricing plans are as low as $15/month. There is also a free 30-day trial for each pricing plan before you make a long-term commitment.
- Getting started seems fairly easy. You would enter the classrooms/age groups for your ministry, the service type(s) you provide, and information for children already enrolled in your ministry.
- Children’s claim numbers stay the same from week to week if they’re regular attenders. Great for parents!
- I like how parents (or a volunteer assisting with check-in) can sign in multiple children at once. That should minimize wait times.
- I like that children can be signed in to multiple services at once. That is a great, convenient feature for parents/guardians.
- Each classroom can have its own tablet and can allow for check-in directly at the classrooms. An added bonus is that information is updated in real-time on all computers/tablets so that information is synchronized ministry-wide.
- Three basic reports can be generated from the tool: (1) service history, (2) children new to the ministry and (3) children’s birthdays.
What I Don’t Like
- Information cannot be easily or quickly entered for guest families unless a separate ‘Guest Family’ station was set up. Amy, the developer, mentioned that guest families at her church fill out an information card and then a ministry leader enters their information into the system at a later time.
- One of my biggest concerns is problems if the internet is down. Since the tool is 100% web-based, if the internet is down, that could create a bit of a problem. Amy mentioned that ministry leaders can keep printed copies of sign-in sheets available in the event of an internet problem.
If you are a smaller church looking for a way to offer a more secure check-in option for your ministry, I think Simple Sign In is a viable option for you. You can learn more about Simple Sign In by visiting their website. You can also email the developers directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Simple Sign In has graciously offered a free 3-month subscription to one of my readers. Here’s how you can enter to win (you can enter in one or ALL of the ways):
- Leave me a comment below, telling me what your kidmin’s check-in process currently looks like.
- [Tweet this message]—–>Electronic check-in for any size #kidmin http://wp.me/p2CKBS-uj @KidMinspiration.
- Leave a shout-out on our Facebook page.
- Complete the email form below, indicating that you’d like to be entered into the drawing.
All entries should be submitted by 11:59pm on Sunday, March 16, 2014.
The winner will be announced on Monday, March 17, 2014.
Disclaimer: I was contacted by Simple Sign In to review their product. I received no compensation for my honest review.